Not much is happening, waiting for tools to show up.
Slotted the elm handle (poorly, the blade slot is out of plane with the spine mortise, arg!). Did a bit more shaping on the handle. Glued (epoxy) the Madrone (remembered the name of the wood) handle back together, looks like Frankenstein, the breaks were not very clean.
Did a trial fit because I was itching to see if things would line up. I’m cautiously optimistic.
The hole punch I ordered did show, the one that is going to save my bacon when making holes in the saw plate (and only $25). Sharpening drill bits every hole gets old fast. This thing is a Roper-Whitney knock off and supposedly has a one ton punching power so it will just vaporize that 0.020” (5 sheet of paper) saw plate, right? Not even, and that was a 5/32” hole. I had to put a 2’ cheater bar to get the needed leverage, which made lining up the holes a real joy. And it makes one heck of a bang when the hole is punched. But the holes are really nice.
Did a bunch of shaping on the Madrone handle. Not sure why, it is soft and stands a good chance of breaking (which it has done at least twice already) but it sure is beautiful wood. Good practice if nothing else. These two handles are “phaties” – I started out with 1 1/8” stock to see if it fit my hand better than 7/8” stock. It does. I’m also leaving a lot of meat on to make up for the the weaker wood. A test fit showed I got the hang too low, need to update the plan.