Lever Cap

The lever cap. The part I started with was a flat chunk of 1/2” 304 stainless steel cut in a Norris shape (a photo is a couple of posts ago). You can see a finished example here. Since the Norris style is a bit massive/heavy for my tastes, I decided to go for a more Spiers shape. 304 stainless is a bear to work, it is very tough and work hardens very quickly. It files and sands fine but slowly. To remove the bulk of the curved sections, I used hole saws; the big teeth and a aggressive feed rate dig under any work hardened material and cut nicely (if crudely). The front of the beak I cut with a power hacksaw, which took a long time. It might not be noticeable, but I bent the stem so that the screw is perpendicular to the iron (I think the screw striking the iron at an angle just looks wrong). Tapping the screw hole was pretty nerve wracking, hand taping 304 is just unpleasant and I was worried about a broken tap the entire time. The right photo is me trying to guess what the cap would like in the plane. The “iron” is a chunk of 2” x 1/4” O-1 that I’ll probably make into the iron.
  

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Planes: Smoothing. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s