I wanted to get started on the lever cap so I cut a chunk of ½” x 2″ x 3″ steel, a 5/16″ rod for the cross pin and started layout. Then I measured the rod; way, way under size. Grumble, hardware store stuff isn’t so good, I’ll have to order some drill rod. So I decided to make the cap screw instead. Brass, which is a joy to work, I have no idea what alloy, I get it at the scrap yard. This started life as a 7/8″ rod, I really didn’t have a plan, just a vague idea of a couple of looks I wanted to copy. One was nut on the old school Starrett tool makers’ dividers (a classy tool) and the other was the neck from Karl Holtey’s cap screws. And a rope knurl. Which lead to a interesting discovery – scratch stocks for wood work great for brass. I wanted a 3/16″ or so “rope” but really didn’t want to try and form it free hand. So I took a hack saw blade, drilled out the hole to 3/16″, ground it down just over center and mounted it on top of a cutting tool blank. Turned on the lathe, stood back, slooooowly feed in the scratch stock, and waited for it to explode. It didn’t and worked great. For the top treatment, I really didn’t know what I wanted. Maybe a wood insert, or just a flat top. What I didn’t want was the saracen’s cap (cusp) you see on a lot of older infills. Ugh. Or so I thought. As I was poking at the top with a round lathe bit, the cusp kept wanting to pop out despite my best efforts to turn the handles in a different direction. Oh well, this is my take on that style and now I rather like it.
- The PinkieStrong C clamp. A design exercise 'cause I like Armstrong heavy duty camp. It seems functional enough for light woodworking.2 o rings 2 balls 2 springs Lots of plastic. It works but drools when parked. I think the piston bore is buggered or the o ring groove is. Or both.Learned to print magnets in a part. Learned why they should have been heated. Learned that plastic is slick and therefore needs more magnets to keep the carriage from pushing it around (actually, some rubber would probably work better). Bunch of toothbrush magnets in there, you can see the outlines. Two piece assembly for easier printing.