This was one nasty piece of wood, totally wrong for making a saw handle from – very hard (good), heavy (good), very dry (not so good), totally stressed (I’m guessing, very bad), loves to split (very very bad). Every time I dropped it (and, given my dexterity, was often), the grip would break/split. There just doesn’t seem to be much holding the individual wood fibers together. I’ve got four types of glue in it: Titebond III (because it is runny, II, epoxy (to fill cracks) & CA (desperation). Four dowels (three in a row in the photo, the right most one is hard to see and the fourth is up by the thumb area). It is so dry, when I heated it up to cure the epoxy, crevasses would open up everywhere. And warp. Quite frustrating but oh so lovely. It polishes great and oil makes it look really good.
- Spoke spear - for digging nipples out of a puddle of linseed oil and putting them in a deep(ish) dish rim socket. Serrations really help retain the nipple. No idea of the angle, just stuck a shim under the front of the spinner and ground away.I guess Abom torque isn't always the answer. Interesting - no springs, a belleville washer stack instead.Well, I didn't expect that to work, but nothing took flight. Fly cutting steel on a mag chuck as weld prep. The chuck is so new it doesn't have a model number. Or serial number for that matter.