Plane parts kit

I got a bad case of the “paint it green” syndrome (aka it is past time for this thing to be done) so a few things got done in a hurry or skipped. Anyway, here is pic of all the parts waiting for the finish to dry before final assembly and adjustment.
parts listThe wood has been saturated with BLO (under vacuum). What you can’t see (and this is a good thing) is that the oil caused the epoxy patches (of the router bit blowout at the edges of the brass dovetails) to completely match the wood. Yes, one (of two) is in the photo.

The cross pin was silver brazed on one side only (so I didn’t have to worry about differential expansions of a big chunk of cool cast iron and small hot piece of steel) and chemically blued. Loctite would probably worked just as well but I like real hot glue.

The show surfaces of the bed/frog were wire brushed to give it a pebbley finish that sort of looks like the casting and painted black (lacquer, no primer). I made a “didn’t think that through” which made assembly really awkward/impossible so I removed metal to gain access to the screws under it. Note to self: using a piece of wood to make a quickie prototype would have avoided a really stupid but hard to visualize error in a can’t-screw-this-up part.
One reason for a bolt on bed is that I can shim it if I need to close up the mouth.

The lever cap was sprayed with what I thought was clear lacquer but is some kind of thick acrylic (lacquer?) stuff. Which worked out OK as it kind of looks like old wavy glass.

The tote was way too vertical (even more so than Stanley) and I like a more clothes iron like tote angle, so I added a wedge. And totally botched the wood match. Of course the attachment rod no longer works so I used a piece of all-thread (wonder of wonders, this plane uses threads that are standard today, in this case ¼-20). One end is machined down to #12-20 so I can use a Stanley nut, the other end is bent to the new tote angle.

The casting wasn’t flat on the underside and I got tired of working on it so I made a couple of paper shims so the bolts are not twisting the casting when tightened. Hopefully, the wood won’t do what wood does and move too much over time.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Planes: Smoothing. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s