Slathered in BLO, which needs to dry before being slathered in shellac.
Another annoying glue up; I seem to make a habit of that. This time the struts. The problem was end grain and a tight fit. I can usually get a decent end grain bond if I glue size the end grain (which seals the pores so additional glue won’t soak in). But this “sponge” wood just kept hoovering up glue so when I pressed a strut home and applied a clamp, I had a double whammy: the tight fit scrapped all the glue off the long grain surfaces and and the clamp squeezed most of the glue out of the bottom of the joint leaving whatever glue was left to continue soaking into the end grain. Result: no glue no where and all the joints failed. Sooooo, next day (I’ve read that you have 24 hours or so before PVA glues won’t stick to each other), glue on every surface, wait a bit, wipe most of the glue off the struts (to avoid most squeeze out), press home, don’t clamp. Success (one failure, redid it and was good).
Nailed for good measure plus I wanted that look.
The struts are “½ round over” – I used a shoulder plane and put a fat 45° bevels on the two edges that stuck out (pre nails).
For “fuzzy” woods (the ones that feel/look furry and you can’t sand it out), if the surface is cut, it is fine but that usually isn’t an option for an entire piece, so I finish differently from hardwoods. I use the finish to stiffen the fibers and then do the final sanding. When the fibers have soaked up finish and the finish has cured, the wood will abrade cleanly.
In this case, the procedure was: oil, wait a week or so (or as long as I can stand it) followed by shellac allowed to cure over night (more would have been better). Then sanded with 150 to a nice smooth surface. It is easy to tell if you got on it too soon because the sandpaper will load up like crazy. You can go down to wood but be careful; if you remove all the finish you will get fuzz. You will smell the uncured oil as a warning (The surface BLO cures a lot faster than the deeper oil). Do a quick [dry] wipe of the sanding residue, any left over will melt back in with more finish. Then more shellac.
Here is what I got after three or four french polish passes (I like how the knot echos the cupids bow):